Saturday, March 10, 2012

Are all the colleges at the University of Toronto equal? Or are some better than others?

I picked my college selection at random at landed at St. Michael's, though I had no previous knowledge of it's atmosphere beforehand. I like it's rich tradition and culture, though I hear Trinity College and Victoria University are better in terms of academics and are more "elite", per se. I didn't apply to the University of Toronto just to be placed in some categorical hierarchy...so are all the colleges relatively the same or are some better than others?Are all the colleges at the University of Toronto equal? Or are some better than others?
They each have their own personality, history and traditions.



Some of them were originally established as schools related to religious groups. Trinity is Anglican (aka, Church of England or Episcopalian), Vic is United Church of Canada, St Mikes is Roman Catholic. University College was established for people not associated with one of those. I'm not sure why New College exists. Innis is very progressive. The coolest people will go there. Woodsworth was established as the college for part time students; they tend to have more evening courses.



Each also has specific programs that are loosely related to them. Vic is known for Semiotics, literature and classics. Margaret Atwood got her undergrad degree at Vic. Innis has film studies and environmental studies. I'm not sure about the rest.



Which college you belong to isn't that big a deal. You can take any arts and science course regardless of which college you belong to. If I were going again I would either choose Innis or Vic.



Trinity likes to think it is the best. It is the most difficult to get into. I wouldn't want to go there. If you are a right wing nut, rich, selfish ****, Trinity is the place for you.Are all the colleges at the University of Toronto equal? Or are some better than others?
No way. Trinity Rules.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment