Saturday, March 10, 2012

University of Victoria VS Vancouver Island University?

I have several programs I am interested in:

psychology

sociology

philosophy

environmental studies

anthropology

visual arts

creative writing



For each of these programs, which school do you think has the better program? I live a province away and it's hard to tell through the websites...University of Victoria VS Vancouver Island University?
Hello. As a recruiter for VIU and a graduate of the BA program here I can tell you a bit about the programs and how to help find out more about the differing options. As a student, I took classes in Psych, Philosophy, Art and Art History and Creative Writing and I loved all of them. I had profs that were really passionate about what they were teaching and loved engaging in great discussions about the content. For the most part, classes here are around 28-34 students so you really have an opportunity to get to know the students in your classes and the profs as well. That was my favourite part. Your profs also get to know you which sometimes means that if you're slacking off, they notice. But for me it meant more of a challenge. I had one prof hand back a paper and tell me that he knew I could do better and asked for a re-write - I got an A in the class. I still see him around and he checks in to see if I'm still challenging myself. Another one of my former profs also taught me sister and when I run into her she always asks how my sis is doing.

I can tell you about the interesting opportunities within a number of the programs but most of it is online as well. For example, that we have an art gallery where students showcase their work every year; or that we have a literary magazine called The Portal where media and creative writing students have an opportunity to be published; or that our psych program has a number of research labs where students have an opportunity to do some really cool research with faculty (the anxiety lab and intrusive thoughts lab are my favourites).

Sometimes the best way to get a feel for a program is to get in touch with a prof or two in the program area and try to get a feel for them; I would happy to get you in touch with a few here on campus if you are interested.

Another way to look at what the programs are about is to check out stories on what students in the program areas are doing. I'll include links to a few below.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me: joanna.hesketh@viu.ca

~ Joanna



VIU students take action on challenges of homelessness

http://www.viu.ca/mainly/page.asp?ID=1758



VIU鈥檚 top academic students earn national medals

http://www.viu.ca/mainly/page.asp?ID=1688



VIU grads pursue publishing careers around the world

http://www.viu.ca/mainly/archive.asp?Story=News%26amp;offset=30

No comments:

Post a Comment