Saturday, March 10, 2012

University of British Columbia or University of Victoria?

which one do you prefer thinking of campus, residence, education and city wise?University of British Columbia or University of Victoria?
I did my undergrad at UBC, but know Victoria very very well and have taken courses at UVic. I feel that UVic's smaller size means a higher quality undergrad experience - it is also relaxed and easy to interact with faculty. I found UBC to just have too many undergrads in the larger programs (Science etc), huge sections - I found it very impersonal, not uber social, and if it weren't for the awesome people I lived with I doubt I would have survived. For grad school, both universities have an excellent reputation.



City-wise, Vancouver wins for being Vancouver (it would win against a lot of big cities) - but downtown is a 30-40 minute bus ride from campus, so it is more of a once-in-a while thing, and the area surrounding the university is okay. Same for UVic - which is located in a municipality called Saanich, about a 30 minute bus ride from downtown Victoria. Having said that Victoria is near to tops for any mid-sized city in North America and the city proper ( vs Saanich, Oak Bay) has a vibe that is more in line with larger cities, including a bit of the grit. Victoria is quite dense (people per hectare), has a good theatre scene, pretty good transit, some great dining options, and some phenomenal outdoor opportunities (especially with a car). Victoria also has some cool little neighbourhood villages - James Bay, Cook Street Village, Fernwood. There is plenty going on in the community.



Costwise, Vancouver is a tad more expensive than Victoria.



Weatherwise (Vancouverites will dispute this) Vancouver gets 100 days more of precipitation per year than Victoria... it happens mostly during the school year which can make it very very grey. Summer is another story. Victoria is dryer and less grey.



Campus UBC feels like U of T, big buildings, streets, but next to the ocean and away from downtown. UVic campus is grassy and spread out.



If I had to do it again, I would have gone to UVic for my undergrad - and maybe taken a summer semester at UBC justUniversity of British Columbia or University of Victoria?
My cousin just started in September at UBC and he loves it, and he's from Australia. I go to VIU. Much smaller than both UBC and UVIC, but I have been to both campuses many times. I prefer UBC. For one, I just like the city of Vancouver much more than Victoria. Keep in mind Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities in Canada to live in, though Victoria is not much cheaper! In the end though, they're both great schools, and I guess it would also depend on how good the programs you're interested in taking are. Good luck, whichever you choose =)
  • chrome download
  • spongebob games online
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment